Monday, November 9, 2015

There's got to be rhythm !



        Have you ever heard music (real music) without rhythm?  Oh, I'm sure there is some around, just as I imagine that there will be those around who would say it was "really cool" music.  It's just not in my wheelhouse, nor that of many, many others I would guess. 

Have you ever read poetry where there was no discernible rhythm?  I do know that it’s around, and has been.....but I never really enjoyed reading poetry without a rhythm.  It would be the same as a poem without a rhyme to me...just not nice. 

In both cases, in my mind and probably that of many others, either music or poetry without rhythm just doesn't come across as making a lot of sense.  It sounds or looks out of whack, out of sync.  It sounds forced and looks like it rambles.  I think the majority would agree that both music and poetry need rhythm, not only to make sense, but to be pleasurable.

Our lives need rhythm.  Inwardly I think we crave rhythm.  We have an inborn sense that rhythm is, or should be, a natural consequence of being alive.  Let’s face it, in reality isn’t life itself part of nature’s natural rhythm?  There are seasons, there are days followed by night, there is light followed by dark, there are life cycles.  We live with rhythm.

Rhythm should not only be a natural part of our lives, but our intentional choice as we live those lives.  By making an intentional effort to put, and keep, positive rhythm into our lives on a regular basis, we can avoid living in a rut (the offspring of negative rhythm).  Living with positive rhythm frees us to live “the good life” regardless of the current circumstances we may face.

Bottom Line Thought:  Think about what might constitute a positive rhythm in your life, one that will help you be a better man, husband, and father.  In the next 7 days we will discuss those rhythm makers.

No comments:

Post a Comment