Sunday, November 22, 2015

What's the Wise Thing to do?


                  ·         “Why did I do that?”

·         “Uh-oh, I shouldn’t have done that.”

·         “I simply can’t believe I did such a stupid thing.”

·         “Oh boy, I just messed up really, really, bad.”

·         “I really put my foot in my mouth this time.”

Don’t the words above echo comments we have made or thoughts we have had all too often?  When us guys utter those comments there is usually a good chance for either a self induced butt whipping or possibly even more.  Things like the stare down from the wife, some harsh words from the boss, “the look” from the kids, etc.
All of the angst that comes with the above statements comes from our failure or unwillingness to make a wise decision or choice.  All too often the outcomes of our decisions and choices are decidedly not what we wanted or expected.  One of the reasons for that is we are really good at deceiving ourselves.  We rationalize.  We are excellent at it, in fact.  We know what we want and we know how to twist things to get it.  We fail to do the wise thing.
If we are to avoid having to make the kind of statements listed above after an unwise choice or decision, we need to avoid making that unwise choice or decision. How is that done?  Learn to ask ourselves three simple questions before each decision or choice is made:
1.    In light of my past experiences, what is the wise thing to do?

2.    In light of my current circumstances, what is the wise thing to do?

3.    In light of my future hopes and dreams what is the wise thing to do?

Once we learn to follow those three steps three things will happen:

1.    We will learn to stop rationalizing and deceiving ourselves.

2.    We will learn to consistently make good decisions and choices.

3.    We will find ourselves free of that awful kick in the guts feeling far more often. 

Bottom Line Thought:  Check out Ephesians 5:15-17 if you are hearing those “uh-oh” voices in your head.  Making wise decisions and choices is the mark of a Godly man.  Do you want the freedom that comes with knowing you’re doing the wise thing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment