Monday, September 1, 2014

Turning ourselves around

At almost every wedding reception anyone has ever attended, for whatever reason they always seem to play the Hokey Pokey dance thing don't they?  I never understood it, though I will acknowledge that folks seem to enjoy putting "the left arm in", etc.etc.  I guess it's supposed to be fun.  It ends with "turn yourself around".  OK.

As much as I'm not fond of it (and don't normally participate in it....stogie I guess I am), I'm all for turning myself around.  I bet you are too.  Especially when we (you and I) contemplate our brokenness, our propensity for letting sin into our lives at times, and as we struggle with our human condition.  Do you think about those things?  I sure do.  I think most of us do....especially those of us who claim Christ.  It seems that once we claim Him in our lives we become acutely aware of our shortcomings and long for those times when there is no struggle in overcoming them.

We do things in our lives to get "turned around".  We pray.  We read the Word.  We try to stop and think before we act.  We get involved in community groups (small groups) from church.  We attend church.  Without doing those things getting "turned around" is difficult at best isn't it?  If not impossible I should say.  I've been there and done that and perhaps you have too.  Without those things in our lives, we find ourselves living on the slippery slope....a place quite unfriendly to turning ourselves around.

With those thoughts in mind, perhaps I might start thinking of church as a clinic.  After all, over the past couple of years I have unofficially renamed Sunday to "Sanity on Sunday"....where I get myself brought back down to the real earth....as God intended it to be.  So maybe the following isn't so inappropriate after all:
 



No comments:

Post a Comment