Monday, January 26, 2015

Kids are not hearing impaired

Sometimes we get ourselves into trouble don't we?  Like those times when us guys are being regular guys with our buddies and some of those little words slip right out of our mouths (yeah, right) when our kids are around.  "Shhhh, the kid's here."  Oops. Or maybe we're talking with our wife about some family concern....."shhh", with a nod toward the child who might hear what we're talking about.

More often we get ourselves into trouble which shows its ugly face much later in time by not saying things we really should have said to our kids.  They aren't hearing impaired.  We're just either lazy or maybe just don't realize just how important some things unsaid can be to a growing child.  And, as fathers, we are just to joined at the hip with how we ourselves were raised.  Sad.

What are some of the things every child really desires to hear from us dads?  And on a regular basis.  And spoken with honesty and sincerity and enthusiasm.  Here's a few:
  • I am so proud of you.....
  • I love you so much....
  • I am really sorry.....
  • I forgive you.....
  • I am listening to you....
  • This is your responsibility.....
  • You have what it takes.....
  • You are special in God's eyes.....
I can't remember hearing any of those very much at all growing up.  Yes, it was a different time then, but I really don't think the "art" of parenting has changed all that much.  And, yes, perhaps as a result I grew up to become a parent that was a bit stiff and unfeeling when it came to the kids.  And I'm sad that I didn't share those comments with my kids when, perhaps, they needed it the most.  But you know what.....I did eventually learn (albeit later in life) and I love to share those things with them now....because no matter how old the kids are, or how much time has passed, they are not hearing impaired.

Do you need to re-think how you interact with your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment