Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Music as a calmer-downer

I love the music of Lindell Cooley.  He's a pastor with remarkable music talent.   He's got a church outside of Nashville, TN, in Franklin, and if I ever get down that way I'm going to make sure I'm around on a Sunday to go to that church.  You can listen to a sample of his music here

Most folks who know me, or have read this blog for any length of time know that I love music.  I love it because of the impact it has had, and continues to have, on my life.  Of the many, many Christian Contemporary Music performers there are that I so enjoy, I especially love the music of Cooley...because it speaks to me so deeply.  It is southern, it is gospel, it is sometimes revival-ish, but it hits me in the soft spot, and it speaks to me in volumes.

I'm not necessarily selling Lindell Cooley in this post.  What I'm trying to say is that good relevant Christian music can and does speak to us if we allow it to.  I have found that it settles me down, and that the more I listen to it as a daily habit, the calmer I am and the more spiritual thinking I will be.  I love country music, and I love classic rock....but neither does for my soul what listening to Christian music does.

In this rat race world in which we live, where we are so exposed to dog eat dog attitudes and actions, I need everything I can get to help keep me grounded and settled down each and every day.  For me one of the things that accomplishes that is music.

Here's another treat by Mr. Cooley.  It happens to be one of my favorites.  It puts me in "the zone".  Enjoy !!

No comments:

Post a Comment