Friday, October 11, 2019

Transition--to, from-to, back-to

Six hundred and fifty three posts ago I started the transition from journaling to blogging--this blog. Once the transition became complete, it became obvious to me that it wasn't yet a complete transition because I was bitten by the bug to write a book. It simply seemed to be a natural progression in my writing endeavors.

I hooked up with Xulon Publishers, a Christian publishing firm, and wrote my first book, A Better Man, Husband, Father, which was published in mid-2015. Much of the material in that book was material that had been used in this blog. In that book, I alluded to the fact that much of my thoughts and inspirational ideas came as I was out walking our dog. Being out with him seemed, in fact, to be my "happy place" where my thinking was unencumbered and my heart was calm.

It wasn't long after the first book came out that I started to entertain the thought of writing a second book. There was a whole lot of material left that wasn't used in the first one, so why not put it to use, I thought. I still had a dog to walk, I still had all my faculties, and there were still life things to contemplate. Then a funny thing happened. Life got in the way. Oh, I still wrote articles--but I didn't post them here.  In fact, I all but ignored the blog. I found myself getting more and more involved in other forms of social media. Over the past three years it became excessive, and I found myself involved with way too much drama, way too much stuff, way too much narcissism, you name it. I had transitioned from this to that, and I found, ultimately, that I didn't like it. It wasn't the me that I want to be.

So now I have transitioned back to blogging. I'm off social media except for a bare few Christian sites. Since transitioning away from social media, the thoughts and ideas for this next book have literally been pouring out of my head as I walk the dog. It only seems fitting that the title will be, Dog Walk Talk; when I'm walking, God's talking. I'll write more on that over the next few days.

In the meantime, it's good to be back where I belong, and away from the drama, etc. that I embraced for way too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment