Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A different perspective, a fine distinction

You hear a lot of talk about our daily walk.  Many folks use many differing terms in talking about it.  Some examples, which we also find in written materials as well, are:
  • my daily walk
  • traveling down the road of life
  • the path I have chosen
  • walking down that narrow dirt road of life
  • my walk with God
  • my life's journey
  • and more
Whenever I hear any of those terms, or use my own pet terminology, there is one consistent conclusion either used directly or implied in such a manner as to leave little doubt what it is.  The goal of the walk, travel, pathway, etc., is heaven.  Or, sometimes it is referred to as the prize, the reward, and so on.  And almost universally, when those walks, travels, pathways, etc. are discussed or written about, there is almost always mention of roadblocks, barriers, peaks and valleys, etc., all of which are referring to the fact that during the journey there are difficulties that must be surpassed, the implication that the travel will not always be easy, and other somewhat negative connotations.

How would you react if someone talked about their walk, journey, travel, etc. in a different way, such as:
     Hi, I'm John, and I'm here for a short time (whatever that time is) and I'm just full of joy because I'm going to Heaven.  And I know, that for amount of time I'm around here, God is allowing me to use my free will and make choices in everything I do.  And I'm enjoying it because I know that He loves me and asks only that I trust Him in my life.  So that no matter what I come my way, I see it as an opportunity to glorify Him and praise Him.

Would you perhaps think that perhaps whoever was saying that is some sort of a Jesus freak, a hyped up on God person, an over the top evangelical, or the like?  Or might you think that the person really has a grip on his perspective and truly views his walk as a very positive thing with no negatives?

To me, John's statement is very "up".   The goal or reward is the same and those statements usually heard or read.  The distinction is the lack of negatives, the lack of looking at what may come or get in the way of the traveler.  The whole focus is on the positive of getting to Heaven and the relationship with God before Heaven.

Food for thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment