Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Some days

There are days when I think God won't want to hear my prayer at that point in time, because I can't say a "happy" prayer, and (in all honesty) I sure can't see anything to be thankful for.  Those are the times when the woe-is-me Joe is in full bloom.  Do you ever have any of those days?  Be honest now!! 

My prayer on days like that end up being right out of the gut.  Something like this:

     Hey God, I'm not really mad at you....I just don't want to talk with you right now because I'm not happy and I have this thing in my head that says my prayers have to be happy talk and a lot of thank you's.  But, I have this other thing in my heart which says that it is at times like these that I most need to pray.  So I'm listening to my heart and here's my prayer;

  enlighten what is dark in me
strengthen what is weak in me
mend what is broken in me
heal what is sick in me
and finally....
revive whatever peace and love has died in me.
 
Prayers like that are my panic prayers.  Perhaps we all have a version of the panic prayer.  They are panic prayers because on some days I let myself get so worked up about stuff that I temporarily loose sight of just how much God loves me, and how much I need to trust him. 
 
There's a great thing about panic prayers.  If we're honest with ourselves, there will be days when panic prayers are necessary.  And that is a good thing!  Let's face it....God knows what is going on when you and I are having crappy times.  Am I, or you, really gonna hide it by dressing it up and making it all pretty-pretty? 
 
God wants to hear our honest and open prayers all the time.  Not just the nice ones on some days.  So what say...."let 'er rip" !!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment