Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Story time

I love country music.  I wrote a country song a bit ago titled All I ever did right (was everything wrong).  It's about a dad reiterating how bad he was as a parent, and how thankful he is that the right that came out of all that wrong is that the kids themselves are now parenting  the right way.  It was pretty easy to write.  I wrote it about myself after reflecting on the families of my kids....how much differently they are raising their kids, and how solid the relationships are.

That song is a bit of my story.  It is a peek into my past, at those times when I was on the dark side of life, when a relationship with the Lord was foreign to me.  But it is just the beginning of the story.  Now the kids no longer dwell on that of the past in their relationships with me.  They dwell on the change that has taken place over the past years, change to the good.

All of us have a story.  More importantly, all of us are living a story.  We work, we play, we raise our families.  And in every single thing we do, we are living a story.  A story about us as individuals, as men, as husbands, and as fathers.  Everyone around us is constantly seeing that story unfold.  Frankly, I have often been actually amazed that the story I was unfolding all those years when the kids were young didn't have a different impact on them.  A very negative impact.  You know, that they followed the same path.  It was only through the grace of God that they didn't buy into my story.

What kind of story are you living?  What kind of story are your kids seeing unfold?  What kind of story will you be remembered by?  Are you proud of your story?  Does your story make God smile?

No comments:

Post a Comment