Friday, February 20, 2015

4 eyes

 
One of the many cruel things I was called growing up was "4 eyes" by some of the kids I went to school with.  That was in Detroit.  It was easy for them to pick on me and my sister.  We had moved there from Georgia when my dad was transferred there, and apparently they didn't like simple southern kids too much in Detroit.  "4 eyes" was a good way for them to poke fun of the fact that I wore glasses as a youngster, really corrective glasses because one of my eyeballs appeared to be searching for the back of my head by way of the side.
 
All ended well, in time.  Pop got transferred back to Georgia, where it just seemed that people were more tolerant, kind, and way more simple about life.  And, over time, with some surgery, the eye that had wandered eventually started to look front and center, and glasses were no longer necessary.
 
Nowadays, I wouldn't mind if people called me "4 eyes".  Perhaps you wouldn't either once I share why.  But first, what do you first see in your minds eye when you first see someone:
  • who is of a different race?
  • who is of a much lesser economic status than ours?
  • of the opposite sex?
  • who is of a different sexual orientation?
  • who you just don't like?
  • who seems overly crabby and angry?
  • in raggedy, dirty clothes sitting on a sidewalk begging?
I would like to be able to answer each and every one of those as one would think that a fully devoted follower of Christ would.....but I can't.  There is still way too much brokenness within me that needs fixin'.  But, I will add a caveat to that statement....it's not as bad as it used to be.  Sometimes my first reactions are Christ-like.  Sometimes I can actually see the overly crabby and angry person and immediately feel a sense of empathy for them as I think that maybe they are having a really hard time at life and need some friendly encouragement which I could offer.  Sometimes. 
 
Here's why I wouldn't mind being called "4 eyes" once again.  It would represent to me that I am starting to look at life through Jesus's eyes, the way He would see things...and the way He would react, and what He would do. 
 
I wonder how many marriages would be saved and how many kids would grow up well grounded in a strong faith if men, husbands, and fathers like us could rightfully be called "4 eyes" because, as we do daily life, we are looking through the eyes of Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment