Saturday, February 28, 2015

Peeing yellow

 
This meme caught my eye, and immediately caused me to think about myself.  I know nothing about McCann, other than what I found googling him.  He's Irish, but now an American, and he's an author and a professor.  I couldn't find the context in which he wrote the meme attributed to him.  I imagine that he simply considers himself to be living an ordinary life (albeit his apparent fame and noteworthiness), and that he perhaps actually came to the conclusion that it does take courage to be ordinary.
 
Almost all of the men, husbands, and fathers that I know are living an ordinary life.  They are ordinary men.  I have always felt that of people...we are all just ordinary people...
  • regardless of race
  • regardless of creed
  • regardless of background
  • regardless of social status
  • etc.
Even though I catch myself thin-slicing (key word of improvement there..catch myself) I have always pretty much maintained the following:
 
We all put our pants on one leg at a time, and we all pee yellow.
 
In other words, we are all ordinary.  Our problem is however, don't we find ourselves often trying to be someone or something we are not?  Do we not sometimes try to project ourselves as not ordinary, in some ways, "special"?  Inside, don't we sometimes find it difficult to just accept that we, just like everyone else, is just ordinary?  Are we sometimes so wrapped up in ourselves that it becomes difficult to be just what we are....ordinary men, men made in God's image?
 
Christ, and later his Apostles, were ordinary men, but they had extraordinary abilities, gifts, lives.  By being ordinary, they were able to reach thousands and thousands with the Word.  And they had exceptional courage.
 
In today's times it takes no more nor no less courage to be an ordinary man than in those days.....but it does take courage.  It is that courage which, when lacking, stops us from being bold and faithful in our efforts to be Christ following men, husbands, and father....and friends to all around us.  It is only fear which stops us from being the best ordinary man we can be.
 
Have you embraced your ordinariness?  Can you be comfortable with it?  Have you found that it does take courage to be ordinary?  Can you use that courage to use your gifts, talents, and abilities to further the Kingdom work in your daily life?


No comments:

Post a Comment