Sunday, February 14, 2016

God's Sense of Humor

It's about that time of the year when I get the urge to go back in the archive to re-post an article that I was particularly fond of because of it's life lesson for me as I was writing it.  Enjoy !


We have always had a dog as part of our family. Whenever one went to “The Rainbow Bridge”, we have been able to “rescue” another pooch and welcome him into our home. Dog lovers fully understand how a dog can steal your heart. We have always had a special bond with our dogs.

It is that special bond between man and dog that makes me believe that they really are man’s best friend. There are certain characteristics about a dog that makes that bond as strong as it is:

·        They love us unconditionally.

·        They are extremely loyal and faithful to us.

·        They always protect us.

·        They are very patient with us.

·        They are constant companions.

·        They are happy when we are connected with them.

·        Our faults don’t diminish their love for us.

·        They aren’t biased or prejudiced.

·        They are very forgiving.

·        They give us their all.

In going through that list, I don’t see any characteristic that I shouldn’t have as a man. In fact, they are the same characteristics that God has, ones He has shown me over and over throughout my life. He has shown them through His word and His son Jesus. They are the traits I should have as a child of God. I, unlike my dog, fall short of them far too many times in my life. What a lesson my dog can teach me.

So what does this have to do with God having a sense of humor? Is it possible that God, in His infinite wisdom, planned for dogs to be man’s best friend all along so that we would always have those God like characteristics right under our noses? And isn’t it ironic that man’s best friend is God spelled backwards?

Bottom Line Thought: Are the characteristics you have as a man in sync with the lesson we can learn from dogs?

No comments:

Post a Comment