Sunday, February 7, 2016

Pastors lie--sometimes

I would sometimes find myself wondering, back in the days when I was living in the dark, what my funeral service would be like should I die.  Would it be a done and gone thing with little fanfare or would the family struggle to go through the whole procedure putting up the false front that I was an ok guy, at heart.  And I wondered, if they could even find a minister that would participate, what could he possibly say that was true.....other than I had lived and I had died.  I'm pretty sure that if he were to have said nice things about me at the service, there would have been some lying going on--either actively or by omission.

You see, there's folks out there in this world who are living in such a way as they really leave no choice but for the pastor to lie at their funerals.  And, granted, while we are carrying on those lives we really don't think too much about the awkward predicament we, through our lives, are putting them in.  About the best the family could hope for would be that the pastor would minimize his comments about the deceased and focus on helping the family through with some soothing words.

There's a solution for this issue:


Bottom Line Thought:  How much better for the family would it be if their only concern would be that the pastor wouldn't shut up....because there was just too much truth and nice things to say about you and how you led your life as a Christian?

No comments:

Post a Comment