Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Ashamed

I'm going to share a couple of short real life stories that have multiple element to them.  They are both true stories, both involve real people, and both speak tellingly about our human condition.  While we may try very hard to be the people we want to be, people who follow Jesus, it is very, very easy to fail.....as both will illustrate.  And, bear in mind that this failure is a direct result of our brokenness and our natural human condition....something which is seemingly quite hard to change on a day to day basis.  That said, we really do have but one choice...and that is to learn from our mistakes and keep on trying with day by day effort.

#1:  I was in line at the cashiers at a busy pre-pay gas station with 12 pumps.  An obviously old and somewhat confused older gentleman was in front of me.  I overheard the conversation between he and the cashier...a man who was bending over backwards to try to help the older guy who was trying to pay for some gas.  He wanted $10 dollars worth and was trying to pay with a $20 dollar bill.  But, the attendant needed to know which pump the man's vehicle was at and that was where it was going down hill.  The older guy couldn't seem to understand that the pumps were numbered, and that when he pre-paid the attendant would turn that pump on for the requested amount.  So the attendant tried to find out which vehicle was the man's (all pumps had vehicle by them) and the poor old guy got upset and was angry because he couldn't understand what difference it made what his vehicle was, he just wanted some gas...leading the attendant to think that perhaps he wanted gas in a can for a lawnmower or something else.  Finally the confused old man got mad, snatched his money from the attendant's hand and stormed out.  I was next in line and I made a comment to the attendant that reflected my thoughts....I genuinely felt sorry for the old guy, who was obviously confused.  I paid for my purchase and left the store.  That is when I noticed a lady (she had been behind me in line, but I didn't realize she had left) talking to the old man by his truck, by pump 6, explaining very patiently how the process worked.  Then she took the fellow back into the gas station and helped him complete his purchase....without further issues.  I was very, very embarrassed and humbled as I tried to stick a piece of gum (my purchase was a pack of gum) in my mouth.  I felt terrible because that gum was no where near as important as dropping what I was doing to help the poor guy.....and I had failed.

#2:  A friend shared that he went to Chicago with his grandsons to goof off for a day.  During that time, the boys wanted something to eat, so he took them to a place that specializes in Chicago style hot dogs.  While in line, a beggar approached him and asked for some money.  He related that he deliberately avoided eye contact and didn't acknowledge the request...just went up and made the order for the meals.  Then it got sticky....as one of the kids told grampa that maybe the guy was hungry.  He just kind of pushed the thought off.  As they left, and got a few blocks away, he noticed that there was another obviously homeless man standing by the doorway of MacDonald's.  Just as he looked, a little old lady came out of Mac's with a sack of carry out, handed it to the homeless guy, smiled at him, told him to have a good day, and then walked off.  He related to me that he had gotten gut slapped twice in quick succession....once by his grandson, and once a few moments later by an anonymous old lady.

Both stories show just how much we, who like to call ourselves Christians:
  • are still broken
  • still need to learn
  • can  learn from simple everyday encounters with others
  • still have so much work to do with ourselves as we seek to become more like Jesus
  • are prone to miss opportunities (willingly or otherwise) to help others and show love
  • need to continually pray for "fixing"
I was ashamed of myself and embarrassed.....as was my friend.  One good thing came out of the coffee and donuts the day we shared those stories.....we owned up to what we had done or not done, and both made a pledge to do better.

How do simple everyday encounters affect you?

No comments:

Post a Comment