Thursday, June 26, 2014

One expensive bat

When talking with a neighbor the other day he happened to mention how happy is 13 year old son was because he had taken $180.00 out of the money he saved and bought a baseball bat with it.  I didn't say anything, but I was shocked.  In talking with some of my sons who are more in the know than I am about such things, I found that there are some bats (for kids) out there for far more than $180.00.  Yes, I am old school.  Back when I was in Little League, well over 50 years ago, we wore hand-me-down uniforms, and any old bats we could find.....and I just wonder if we didn't have just a bit more fun playing.  It sure seems to me that things were simpler and less competitive back then.

So how does an expensive bat relate to being a better man, husband, and father....the purpose of these posts? I think an overly expensive bat in the hands of youth is symptomatic of many ills of society as well as roadblocks to spiritual growth. How so?
  • do we not place a whole lot of unnecessary emphasis "things" and "more", "bigger", and "better"?  What message does this carry to our kids?  What message does it send to those around us?  What does it say about us?
  • does not this type of competitiveness distract us from our real purpose as people, as God's children? 
Often, as adults, our "toys" are far more costly by comparison that that kids $180.00 bat, and yet they are just as much a toy as that bat is.  That said, our manner of justifying those "toys" is much more refined than the reason for justifying that bat...."all the kids own their own bats, and you have to keep up if you are going to get good hits".  Quite a message there for those still in their formative years.  Is there any possibility that that chain will be broken?

If this sounds like a rant, it really isn't.  In fact, it is far from it.  I am just sad that a simple ordinary game like Little League baseball is so highly competitive and so un-simple, that perhaps there are some not so good life lessons that kids in their formative years are learning.  We can only hope that when they become the next adult generation that they will see clearly, and that we as their parents and grandparents have instilled in them the kind of values that will allow them to be a proud generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment