Saturday, June 14, 2014

Material Things

I remember the flap that ensued when Madonna (UGH!!) came out with her song "Material Girl".  No dummy, she, as she made millions in the course of her singing career, and perhaps most assuredly had no difficulty purchasing as many material things as she wanted.  But she probably differed from most of us, in that she had the money to do so without jeopardizing her financial security.  She most likely had more money than she would ever need, so it was probably quite easy to actually become a material girl if she wanted to.

Did you ever say "I'm blessed" to someone and have them come right back and ask you...."in what way?"  I had that happen once, and it stopped me cold for a brief instant.  It seemed like such a strange question that it really caught me off guard.  I remember responding with something like "because I am free to know Christ" or something similar.  It didn't enter into my head to answer that I am blessed because of what all I have.  That is most likely due to the fact that I live a relatively spartan life, and I don't get all wrapped up in stuff.

That said, there are a lot of people who are indeed wrapped up in their stuff, their things.  Some have been bitten by the "monster of more", and others simply have the financial means to get whatever stuff or things they want.  Neither, in my opinion is very blessed only,because they have stuff and things, because they are into the material side of life.  Yet, a lot of these same folks will freely tell the world that they "are blessed".  And the sad part is, many actually believe it. 

I am of the opinion that being blessed has little or nothing to do with material things.  And I also believe that one's feeling of having been blessed is a deeply personal thing, a matter between their heart and God, because, after all, the ultimate blessing we have is the grace and redemption that came from the Cross.  And thus, I sense that feeling "blessed" for all that I have (materially) is very denigrating of the real blessing that all believers have.

"If material things are what you're talking about

when you say "I'm Blessed"......

You have no idea about blessings."

(source unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment