Monday, October 27, 2014

Come as you are party

This is for those struggling with church.  I've been there and done that, and I'm not all that much different than lots of guys.  Why do we struggle with church?  Or for that matter, why do we struggle with this thing called being a Christian?  If we were to be the flies on the walls, or able to read minds, we might hear some things like:
  • I'm not good enough
  • those people don't have burdens like I do
  • I'm a hopeless mess
  • I've really strayed
  • I can't match up to those people
Sometimes those perceptions we have of ourselves are just plain false perceptions, especially as seen through our own eyes.  But, there's another set of eyes that sees us differently.  God's eyes.  He sees the promise in all of us....despite the dirt, the mess, the brokenness and the direction we are taking.  God sees the promise of what can be in us. 

I've said it before....the church is like a hospital....God's very own hospital.  It is there where the broken get healed, the lost found, the burdens lifted, the hopelessness dissolved, and the strays find home.  And that's because a church that's got it right recognizes and honors our dings and dents and offers grace and love.  And that same that same church will walk right alongside us as we struggle with our growth as Christians.  It's kind of like one of those really good come as you are parties....you just don't want to leave.

David Crowder nailed it in his song Come As You Are, when he penned:

So lay down your burdens
Lay down your shame
All who are broken
Lift up your face
Oh wanderer come home
You're not too far
So lay down your hurt
Lay down your heart
Come as you are.
 
It is so vivid in my mind and heart that time when I knew it was time to stop wandering, suck up my shame, face my burdens, accept my brokenness.  I landed at my church....the best come as you are party I've ever been to.  I'm not perfect yet.  Never will be.  But since I came to the party, I know that I've received more grace and love than I could ever handle...because Jesus died for me.
 
If you're struggling.....why not try this kind of come as you are party?

No comments:

Post a Comment