Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Public Enemy # 1


 
“I don’t have an enemy in the world” How many times have we heard that? Maybe we’re all the same. We really don’t have any enemies out there. Oh, there may be some that don’t particularly like us, but enemies—nope, they’re not there. Well, there is just one in my case. My enemy is me. At times he’s just as bad as public enemy #1, the one we see pictures of in the post office.

The enemy within me is the one that doesn’t like me. He pokes his head up every once in a while to remind me that I’m not as good a person as I think I am. He’s the one that tries to dictate and direct my bad behavior, the one who will try to tear me down in a heartbeat. He shows up in different forms, like;

·         Anger, or pouting and withdrawal, when something doesn’t go my way.

·         Retaliation or sarcasm when I think someone is trying to best me.

·         The indignant and self righteous me when a hurt wasn’t really meant.

·         Sarcasm when I know I’m right and someone else isn’t.

·         Smart mouthing when I am trying to put someone else down.

The enemy within is the one who doesn’t want me to be forgiving, but expects full forgiveness for every slight, real or imagined. He’s the one who doesn’t want to look at the others viewpoint, even though it might be solid, valid, and truthful. He’ll throw words out of my mouth faster than Clint Eastwood’s .41 Magnum, with the same amount of impact.

The bottom line is that the enemy within is the one that fires up my “conclusion gland”—the one that will never draw a right conclusion about someone or something. He also has very good aim. I’ve proven I can shoot myself in the foot time after time.

Our relationship with God helps put the cuffs on public enemy #1. Through God we learn forgiveness. We forgive ourselves, he forgives us, and we forgive others. We experience forgiveness asked for, forgiveness graciously received, and self forgiveness through which we can learn. Yep, public enemy #1 is slowly realizing he can’t bully me around anymore.

Bottom Line Thought: Is there a public enemy # 1 in your life? Do you share all of his antics in prayer with the Lord, and ask for strength?

No comments:

Post a Comment