Wednesday, April 29, 2015

School of Hard Knocks


Even though I finished college and then completed my Masters Degree at middle age, when someone asks about my education I always answer that I got my PhD from the School of Hard Knocks—with honors. Many of us went there didn’t we?

It was my attendance there that prompted me to pen the lyrics for a country song I wrote—All I Ever Did Right, was Everything Wrong. It takes attendance at that fine institution to wake some of us up doesn’t it? Some of the courses I particularly focused on while attending were;
·         Stupid Choices and Decision Making 101. I aced that one.

·         Yielding to Temptation 302. I had a hard time quitting that course.

·         Maintaining Loss of Self Control 405. One of my favorites.

·         Sabotaging Good Relationships 202. I got an A++ in that one.

·         Ego Building 104. A perennial offering I really enjoyed.

·         Why You Don’t Need God 206. The curriculum was wild!
Hard Knocks University turns out some of the finest broken people in the world. One of its shortcomings is that they don’t teach how to handle the baggage that comes with the course work.
Luckily for all of us, a degree from that place doesn’t have to be a permanent mark on our record. We can get a better degree from Christian University. It’s a worldwide school, housed in churches, with satellite facilities known as small or community groups. We can even attend this University in our own homes. If we choose to attend, we will find;

Jesus is the Principal
The Holy Spirit is our teacher
Other Christians are our classmates
The Bible is the study book
Trials, errors, and temptation are our exams
Winning others for Christ is our assignment
Prayer is our attendance
Grace and redemption are the lockers for our baggage
The Crown of Life is our degree
Praise and worship is the motto
And, Heaven is the graduation present.

I’m glad I decided to attend CU. What a difference it has made in my life. What a difference it makes in all of our lives.

Bottom Line Thought: Have you decided to be alumni yet? At which school?

No comments:

Post a Comment