Saturday, November 23, 2019

From Blues to Blessed


Each year around this time many of us begin to experience the Christmas blues for a variety of reasons. I’m no exception. And, while I have generally been fairly mute about my lack of fondness for the season, it has, nonetheless, been evident to those near to me as evidenced by my demeanor. Again, it’s safe to say that I’m not alone in how I handle the season.


I don’t like feeling that way, and yet I do. The perplexing thing about it is that I seemingly can’t put a finger on why I get into this blue funk at this time of the year. That has begun to bother me. Is it now a habit to feel this way? Is there something about my heart or spiritual condition that draws me down that road? Have, perhaps, past experiences jaded me such that I find it hard to get into the season and let loose to enjoy it as others seem to do? And, again, I sense that I’m not alone in asking those questions of myself.


I believe that this season will be different. A few days back I was engaged in a conversation with a great friend who shared the same feelings and thoughts that I just expressed. That night during my evening prayer time the Holy Spirit prompted me to do something to change my seasonal attitude. I was prompted to reach out to my friend and form a partnership for the season to battle the blues back to blessedness daily throughout this season. I shared it with him, and it is now game on.


Each of us, once in the morning, and again in the evening, text each other with a text beginning with “Today I am blessed by (or because of) ___________.” We are focusing on the blessings we experience, looking at the positives instead of the negatives, and we are enjoying it.


We are moving from blues to blessed. Might this work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment