Wednesday, November 20, 2019

There's smells, and there's stinks




I find it pleasant when someone, typically a lady, walks by or enters the room, and as she does so an amazingly wonderful of a soft perfume or cologne wafts through the air. The smell is not too strong, nor too weak—it’s just right. It’s not pungent or overwhelming. It’s a tasteful and pleasant smell. I’m always tempted to compliment the person wearing it simply to give her a spontaneous affirmation of her taste. Tempted is the operative word, because I don’t say anything typically, unless I know the person well. My hesitancy is a sign of today’s times I suppose.


On the flip side of that, I physically react when, under the same scenario as above, the person is wearing what I often say (under my breath) “stuff that would gag a maggot.” I envision them literally dumping the whole bottle on themselves, and possibly having a sensory issue to boot. That stuff doesn’t smell, it stinks.

To be completely fair, it’s not just women. I know some guys that I’m sure must take baths in the stuff. When near them, I literally gag…my nose and throat simply can’t take.  It stinks.


People are sometimes like perfumes and colognes. There is nothing better than being in a room, or crowd, with someone who easily and freely radiates unabashed natural kindness, love, compassion, and empathy. As with the first example above, I want to be around them. The smell of their attitude and example makes me want to be around them and enjoy the time with them as they radiate their goodness unabashedly. It’s good for the soul and the smell lingers pleasantly in my mind long after they are gone.


Likewise, there are those folks who just plain stink. They’re the ones who are grouchy, petulant, negative, rude and crude, and are impossible to enjoy being around. Frankly, they’re not very lovable, just like the “body wash” that would gag that maggot.


While all the above may well be true and something we run into from time to time, Jesus never mentioned anything about smells and stinks when He commanded us to love our neighbor as ourselves. In fact, He seemed to have a penchant for hanging out with the stinkers.


Another life lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment