Wednesday, November 6, 2019

The Place Where You Start the Day

Our day starts at the place we are at when we get up in the morning. No, I'm not talking geographically. I'm referring to where our hearts are at in that moment of time. Some who wake up grouchy or irritable, perhaps sad or confused, sullen, or non-communicative, might say that they "woke up on the wrong side of the bed." I don't happen to believe in a "wrong side of the bed" myself. Rather, I believe that our disposition at that time, and it is one that can carry throughout our day, depends on the matter of choices we can make in those early moments of the day.

Consider this; do we wake up in the morning thinking about how big of a jerk we will be that day? Do we get up wondering how many people we can hurt with our sharp tongues, our sarcasm, or our actions that day? Do we wake up making plans on how to sabotage relationships that day? Do we wake up considering how we might totally screw up our Christian walk that day? I would be completely dumbfounded if anyone were to answer yes to any of those questions, as well as seriously wondering about their mental state. They are pretty absurd questions, yes?

I found the following years ago (I do not know the source) and I think it has a message for all of us;

When I woke up this morning I asked myself, "What's life all about?"
I found the answer right there where I was.
The fan said, "Be cool in your disposition."
The roof said, "Aim high and look vertically to God."
The window said, "Really see the world around you."
The clock said, "Every minute is precious."
The mirror said, "Reflect before you act."
The calendar said, "You don't know when your last day will be."
The door said, "Push hard for your goals, and be open for opportunities."
The floor said, "Kneel down a pray often."
The Bible on the nightstand said, "I am the Word, live through me."

Nope, there is no wrong side of the bed. There is only wrong thinking and the wrong choices we make. One can't make the bed the scapegoat on this one.

We all need to take a good hard look at the place where we start our days, and realize what a wonderful gift and blessing each day is. Each day we have another opportunity to try to get it right. It's another day to let our light shine, and if we do it will be much more difficult for the darkness to come.

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment