Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Door stopper

We had a young man come by the house the other evening trying to sell us cable TV service.  We are quite content with our current provider, but the young man seemed to want not to hear that.  He finally started to get quite persistent in his spiel, and I found that I needed to get borderline rude to get him to leave.  I didn't slam the door closed on him....but it was close.

At communion this week I was reminded about another door that I also control....just as much as with the service salesman above.  This door is the one to my heart and mind.  It's the door to God that I all too often shut.  It took communion to get me to think about that door.  We were all encouraged to open that door when we took the bread and thank God for all the ways I saw Him at work in me during the past week.  That one was a short list for me, because I suddenly realized just how much I shut the door on Him so that He can work in me and through me.  Then, as we took the cup, we were asked to focus on that door during the upcoming week  to see God in our lives during the week.

I had to stop for a moment, and just focus on a brief, but fervent prayer.  "God, make my foot a door stopper so that I can't close the door on you this week, so that I can see You in my life each day of this coming week."

I'm pledging, to myself and to God, that this week I will keep that door open, even if I have to stick my foot in the door jamb, so that I can clearly see Him in my life.  That door stopper isn't to keep the pest out, but to let the Best in.


Thanks Greg B.

No comments:

Post a Comment