Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Pesky thoughts


Robbers welcomed here!
 
If you have a home, apartment, business or car, would you ever put up a sign like that for others to see?  Of course not.  You'd be out of your mind.  Someone might just take you up on it  and come in, take your stuff, and possibly harm you.
 
What about going to the city and leaving your car running in the parking spot while you go eat dinner?  Nope, someone might just take it !
 
Or, what about leaving your dog in the car with the windows rolled up on a 90 degree day while you shop for hours?  Ridiculous!!
 
What's the common denominator in the above actions?  Of course,......doing something foolish whereby you can expect some outcomes that you will not like.  Oh, and there is one more....you would, let's hope, never entertain the thought of doing any of the above.  Correct?
 
Thoughts are a mixed bag.  We do get ridiculous thoughts....as well as bad thoughts, evil thoughts, sick thoughts, spiteful thoughts, sinful thoughts, and the list goes on.  This is all on top of the good thoughts we get.  That old mind, it seems, can just spit thoughts out right and left, and at any time...and some are, well, surprising...aren't they?
 
I hung out with a mentor 10 years older than I for a long time before he eventually passed on.  I was talking to him one day about how it bugged me that I was so prone to getting some really bad thoughts...mostly about people.  He gave me one of his should-be-patented one liners:  "Well Joey'" he said, "I pick and choose 'em when they come out....and they will never stop coming out.  I'll say to that one..'you're a good thought, I'll keep you', and I'll say to that one...'you're not a good thought, I'm tossing you out'." 
 
Lesson learned, there, from old Tom.  One isn't going to stop the thoughts.  One just has to deal with each one individually....keep or toss, act on it or don't act on it.
 


 
 
 
 
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment