Sunday, April 20, 2014

Could of, would of, should of

If only, blah-blah, blah-blah, blah-blah !  I spent some time with a guy yesterday that seems to be quite focused on the past. Sadly, much of his conversation contained an inordinate amount of "if onlys", "I should haves", "I could haves", and "I wishs".  He was blaming his present situation, which isn't all that good, on either things that he neglected to do earlier, or on things that just went wrong.  In living like that, he isn't a very happy camper.

Doesn't it seem easier to focus on "bad" stuff from the past than on "good" stuff?  Aren't difficult times from the past often easier to think of than happier times?  In my case, unfortunately, I find it much easier to remember the details from an ugly squabble I had with my wife than a wonderful date night we shared.  And it is real easy for me to remember the disappointments I experienced as a child than some of the happy times.  Does this make me weird...or does it make me human?

I think the separator between it being weird or human is the degree to which we rely upon the could ofs, would ofs, and should ofs.  By relying on those we try to shift or place blame..even if it's on ourselves.  By not going there, we accept the mistakes we made, and are moving on.....even if we continue to remember those mistakes and disappointments.

Here's the bottom line...there have never been any promises made, from God or anyone, that our lives would be perfect.  In fact, biblicaly, we are promised, through example after example, that we can expect upheavals, disappointments, unhappiness, misfortune, etc., somewhere and at some time in our lives.  And the reason for that is so that we can learn to grow, both within and in our reliance on the Lord. 

The kicker:  If we find ourselves nearing the "if only", "could of", "would of", "should of" memory room of the mind...we really should turn and get to the "Thank You God" room instead.  After all, it is there where He will meet us with a platter full of joy and peace.


EVERYONE HAVE A BLESSED EASTER WITH CHURCH AND FAMILY.



No comments:

Post a Comment