Saturday, April 26, 2014

Personalize !

Today at church I took communion with most of the other folks there.  Communion time, for me, is always a huge time of reflection and thanks....a very special and meaningful time.  So special, in fact, that sometimes I think I should partake every single day as a tool to help keep me on the tracks as this sometimes train wreck goes through life.

As I partook of communion today, I realized that I was thanking God for sending His Son to die on the cross for us.  No, there is nothing wrong with that....nothing at all.  But it brought out another revelation to my mind, one of huge impact.  I need, I really needed, to personalize that process, much like I do with prayer.

I actually don't know if, at those times I take communion, I have always generalized (like I caught myself doing today) or not.  But, according to the degree with which the difference struck me today, I may well have been generalizing my thanks and gratitude.

Out of this came a new perspective for me.  It isn't selfish at all to make communion deeply personal.  Yes, Jesus went to the cross for all of us.  Most importantly, however, for me is that He went there for me, and that's not being selfish at all.  If I personalize that specific aspect of my spiritual life, I will then also personalize that which is the basis for the communion in the first place...that He died for not just all of our sins, but for my sin.  And because that is now thrown directly into the spotlight, it makes it all the more difficult for me to minimize, try to hide or "forget", or rationalize that sin.  By personalizing it...I own it completely.

I'm going to be taking communion much more personally now. 

Do you take communion personally?

No comments:

Post a Comment