Friday, April 4, 2014

I'm tired of waiting

Many of us are born with a serious lack of the patience gene.  Frankly, I am pretty certain that they ran out of those genes when I was still standing in the gene line.  Somewhere along the line someone invented the perfect saying for those of us who suffer that dreaded disease Patience Deficiency Syndrome (PDS)...."I want it, and I want it now"!  Sound familiar?

Folks, like me, with PDS will often display one or more of these traits:
  • unwise spending at inappropriate times
  • anger in certain driving situations (I tend to forget you just can't fix stupid)
  • some unnecessary arguments or "discussions" with others who correctly evaluate situations before jumping right on in
  • oh....the big one.....God, can't you please answer my prayer?  Like now?
It is hard for a person with PDS to submit issues to prayer fairly often.  Most folks with PDS are results oriented folks taken to the next level, because their time frame is N-O-W.  I'm guilty.  I have been praying for an unsaved family member for quite a long time now.  And at times I am really impatient because nothing is happening.  Yes, attempts have been made to enter into some meaningful discussions about it with that person....and yes, those attempts have been rejected.  It is up to the Holy Spirit to start the work within that person....but I am impatient.

There is an old saying about prayer..."be careful what you pray for".  I think that saying was coined by those who take prayer lightly.  Those more serious about the power of prayer will always remind themselves that God may answer how you like it, He may not answer how you like it, or perhaps He will wait.  I think committed prayer for a committed reason (as in the example above) works two ways:
  1. He wants me/us to keep praying for the situation
  2. and, by doing so in builds my/our faith in Him.
Sometimes we get tired of waiting.  There are some great examples in the Bible of some who never tired of waiting:



When I am tired of waiting, I really need to remember that.  There is a reason I am waiting...and if I can keep my PDS in check, I just might find out what that reason was !

No comments:

Post a Comment