Wednesday, April 9, 2014

You just never know

Quite a few years back I attended a men's breakfast and was fascinated by the conversation of one man that he was shared with me.  Lyle was a business owner, and quite successful.  At the time, I was in a pretty rocky area of my life.  I was riding the spiritual fence, and my personal life at the time seemed to be not much better. 

Lyle opened his short comments with this:  "I can't wait to get to heaven".  Then he went on to explain, and I was actually fascinated.  In an animated way he shared the following (I have paraphrased it to the best of my ability):

"You know, we come in contact with others all the time.  There are always other people around, people that we often know little about.  I can't imagine how exciting it will be to get to heaven and have a perfect stranger come up to me and say 'thank you'.  Not knowing what that person was talking about he would go on to explain...'years ago, Lyle, you didn't know what I was going through, but we were talking and you said just the right thing that got me to thinking about my relationship with God...you planted a seed in me which eventually grew....and it grew to the point that I am here today....all because of something you said to me that day.  It's so good to meet you again Lyle'."

Lyle went on to explain that he really felt it was all the little things a person can do that could be a pivotal moment that would impact another person and trigger or tweak a spiritual awakening in that person:
  • saying something at the right time
  • doing something at just the right time
  • caring at the moment it was needed
  • etc
Lyle concluded his comments with "you just never know".

All men can be like Lyle if they want to be.  Wouldn't it be kind of neat going through life thinking "you just never know"?



No comments:

Post a Comment