Sunday, April 27, 2014

Polly wanna cracker?

I was in another room and couldn't help but hear the television in the next room.  The show was a morning sports show in which the two commentators were regurgitating all that had happened in the "world" of sports the previous day.  What I found fascinating during the time I listened to it was how closely it resembled someone talking to a parrot.  One guy would say something about what happened and the other guy would regurgitate the same thing in almost the same words....and this went on and on.  Perhaps training for that kind of work includes learning to be like a parrot.

Have you ever noticed how many Christians seemingly "parrot" catch words, phrases, cliches, etc?  To me, whenever I hear folks parroting, I get kind of ill at ease inside.....especially if I know the folks and realize that they are not talking like they normally do.  They aren't being real, nor transparent.  It, sadly, is almost as if some are afraid of their shortcoming or lack of knowledge, or their inadequacies, and thus "parrot" to make themselves sound better.

I hope that I'm not coming off as harsh or unrealistic with this topic.  I hurt for those who are obviously parroting, as it tells me that perhaps their walk is in its early stages and that growth will come.  For those who have obviously been around for quite some time, and still do it, my hurt is a bit less for them, because I have this nagging sense that perhaps they have just chosen to be just a bit phoney.

God didn't make us a bunch of parrots.  He made us as individuals.  As such, there is no need to be anything but our individual selves in our daily walk.  We all have our own individual styles, our own uniqueness, or own levels of learning and understanding, and we all are responsible for our own level of progress in this walk of life.  We don't need to be parrots......we just need to be us, as God has made us.

Embrace your uniqueness and one of God's individual children, and say no to the cracker request.

No comments:

Post a Comment