Saturday, April 12, 2014

Follow the Dog

We recently acquired a new dog.  He's a rescue....a wonderful 7 year old mellow golden lab who just loves everyone.  He just enjoys being around people, and especially kids....like our grand kids, who can come over and lay all over him.  I worry that he is going to do permanent damage to himself by wagging his tail so much !!  He's like so many other dogs---unassuming, gives unconditional love always, happy and content, and fun to be with.

Today I had a conversation with a gentleman at church that I consider, in addition to being a friend, a mentor of solid spiritual wealth....something I have needed in my life.  You know....and anchor, a rudder, a sounding board.  I mentioned to him that we had "sat" for some of the grandsons last night while mom and pop had a date.  Then I went on to tell him how I really felt inadequate as a grandfather, not unlike I had felt as a dad so often.  I related how my "role" models--the one grandad that I knew, and my father, were "stiff" around kids so much of the time.  Not really playful...just very, well....adult.  And I mentioned that therefore it was really hard for me to loosen up and be what I envision a great grampa should be.

He made an immediate and surprising comment.  He lit up and animatedly said three words..."follow the dog".  Norm knew of our recent dog find, and I had told him about the dog, so it was easy for him to paint the picture for me using the dog as an example.  He reminded me that the dog will meet the kids at their level, just as I should do.  I shouldn't hope that the kids would meet me at my level.  To the dog, meeting with them is a special play time...just as it should be for me.  Here is what I took away from that conversation, and I think it applies equally across the board for fathers and grandfathers:
  • there are times (like when with the kids) that you don't need to take yourself so seriously
  • be the kid you once were once again for a little while when they are around
  • don't come into those special moments with baggage...the kids don't
  • just be loose and happy and feel blessed by the time....it won't last forever
  • those few moments may just be cherished by the kids much more than any of us can imagine
That's a pretty good starting point for fathers and grandfathers I think....just follow the dog !

No comments:

Post a Comment