Saturday, March 21, 2015

Sanity on Sunday


        I used to dislike going to church. I’d go when I had to, for weddings, Easter and Christmas, baptisms, and funerals. It got in the way of sleeping in on Sunday mornings, going to play golf, or fishing. Those were the excuses I used. The real reasons I didn’t want to go were;

·         I thought that ministers, pastors, and priests were phonies.

o   How could any of them be that good as men?

·         Those in the congregation were probably just like me, but they were just putting on a Sunday morning show, and therefore were phonies.

·         Church was for sissy’s goodie-goodies, and wimps, something I was not.

·         No one there was saying anything I wanted to hear.

o   Preaching was about what was going to happen to me “if”...

·         I knew what I was, and there was no way God could love me.

·         Church in all aspects just wasn’t “real” to me.

I now know that all of those excuses for not going to church and being involved with it were simply wrong, and not true of the church and its people. That came as a result of an amazing spiritual journey.

Those misconceptions are still thoughts in the minds of many men. We have trouble grasping the fact that ministers, pastors, and priests are just the same as we are, men doing a real life’s journey, men with baggage, and men who struggle with the same things we do. What has made my, and perhaps yours, church experience so real since my way of thinking was changed, is that the spiritual leaders of those churches, and the folks who go there, are transparent. They too, have changed, and are still changing.

I look at church as the clinic, where we can turn ourselves around. It’s the place we can go to get ourselves a good heaping of Sanity on Sunday, all about real life as it could be.

Bottom Line Thought: Can you share your church experience with others, so you can encourage them to come to the clinic and get their Sanity on Sunday?

No comments:

Post a Comment