Saturday, March 22, 2014

Is anyone home?

The last 24 hours was the kind of time period that should test any breathing man, husband and father to the limits.  Here is how the last 24 hours went:
  • the wife had left 2 days before for a week in Arizona.  I was alone at home with the dog.
  • the dog decided it was time to get sick...up-chucked anything he ate.  Vets bill-- $445.00.
  • watching some TV in the evening, I noticed the house getting cold.  The heater had decided to stop working.  I couldn't get the repairman out until this afternoon, so with 24 degrees outside the house was a steady 54 degrees inside.  Repairman's bill--$114.00.
  • accidently sat on my glasses when changing for bed last night.  Replacement cost--est $400.00.
  • wax ring under the main floor toilet decided it was time to leak, rendering a soaked carpet.  Estimated plumbers cost to repair (I am medically unable)--$150.00 +/-.
I am NOT proud of myself by how I reacted to this pile on of mishaps and misfortunes.  Not proud at all.  Rather, I am surprised....thoroughly surprised.  I was calm.  No anger, no "explosions" (I have a history, not of temper tantrums, but of temper explosions).  I was just plain calm.  And, therefore, I was amazed at my reaction.  My reaction was one that strongly reminded me once again that with God's presence within me, I need not stoop to anger, confusion, or fear.

No, God cannot take the place of a wife who is away, nor can He heal the sick dog.  And as far as I know he is not into appliance repairs, nor optometry or plumbing.  What He is into is always reminding all of us of His presence.  We are never home alone.  God is always at home in our hearts....we only have to ask Him to be there.

With God at home, where He so wants to be, we do not have to fear, be confused, or be angry about things over which we have no control.  When He is at home we can lean on Him for the strength we need to NOT get angry, confused, or full of fear....and in doing so we will find solutions for all of our difficulties. 

Is God at home in your heart?





No comments:

Post a Comment