Friday, March 28, 2014

Toads

A bit ago I wrote what I call a "just for fun" song.  For whatever reason, as a lyricist (as well as a blogger) every once in a while I have to do someting just for the fun of it.  The song I mentioned will never make it to the Demo stage, but one never knows.  After all, there have been several catchy and obviously "just for fun" songs written over the years that did catch the public's eye.  The name of the song I am referring to is "Road Toads" and it came about one day after several annoying experiences while I was driving:
  • someone wasn't paying a lot of attention to their driving because they were on their cell phone.
  • a pack of bicycle riders who acted as if they "owned" the road were on a narrow, hilly rural road which was full of traffic at the time
  • several drivers refused to use turn signals.
I thought of them, at the time, as road toads, and couldn't wait to pen some words about the experience of ignorant people doing stupid things which annoy "normal" people.....like me.  As misguided as that thinking was, I suppose it was better to think of a song to write than to swear at them, yell at them, or otherwise bring myself to that level of temporary stupidity.

I had pretty much forgotten that whole episode until today when I had one of those "flashes".  You know...a brain burp.  It popped into my noggin that we are all toads.....in a way.  No, we're not ugly like toads are perceived, nor are we hop around bug eaters.  But, as different as we are from toads, we, as humans, do bear a similarity.....we all have warts.  All of us.  I sure have my share.  No, I don't mean the kind of warts that can be medically removed.  The warts I am referring to are:
  • there is a degree of brokeness about us
  • we are not really complete
  • we have done things we wish we hadn't
  • we keep doing things we wish we wouldn't
  • we sin
  • etc.
The best thing that I can do when I feel judgemental about someone else is to remember that I am like a toad.  I have my own warts that need attention.  By doing so, I will focus on my own warts, not those of others, and in turn several things will happen to make me a better man, husband, and father:
  • my warts will begin to get acknowledged, and "fixing" can begin
  • I will feel better about myself as a result
  • because I feel better about myself, I will be more tolerant about others faults
  • most likely I will end up a much kinder, gentler, and happier man as a result.
As lowly as most folks think a toad is, maybe being a toad by recognizing my own warts isn't so bad after all.  Maybe there's a song there..."I'm glad to be a toad".

No comments:

Post a Comment