Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving day is traditionally a day when friends and family gather together and eat themselves silly.  In many households on that day, above and beyond the mostly friendly banter is the Thanksgiving day football game (NFL) on the T & V, and perhaps for the younger set a friendly game of flag football in the neighborhood park.  Above all, however, it is a day of thanks giving for almost everyone.

Our Thanksgiving day is pretty much like what was described above.  There are usually  a minimum of 20 folks over that day, sometimes it approaches 30 folks, depending on how many folks who have no family agree to come over to share the day of eats and fellowship.  I like Thanksgiving.  That was not always the case however.    Sometimes I didn't like some of the folks who would be coming, and that included some of the family.  At those times I wasn't happy, and it mostly showed.

Things are different now.  Because I am truly thankful, and especially so on this day which is a great day of remembrance for me.  The day serves to remind me that I'm not the man I used to be....lost and without a relationship with God.  Here's a short list of things I am thankful for on this day:
  • that there were some others that allowed God to work through to bring about change in me.
  • that those others were dedicated to the leading they felt, and carried it through
  • that because of that I have recommitted my life to the Lord
  • that in doing so I am not consumed with sin as I once was
  • that there are those who today hold my feet to the fire
  • that those folks love me and care for me in spite of my past
  • and finally, that God literally directed me to my church, a place where I have learned more about grace, redemption, Christian love, and human caring than I ever thought would be possible.
I don't need to be thankful for all I have.....because I have it all.....a Christian way of life, the most important thing I have.  I have been blessed with a family that has stood by me in my worst of times, but even that pales next to what has happened to my heart and soul.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, and with it remind yourself that no matter where you are in your walk, you are loved more than you will ever know by the God in whose image you are made, and that you do, indeed, matter to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment