Saturday, November 29, 2014

The list


To-do lists (on some occasions referred to by us guys as the "honey do" list---you know the times) are nice things.  Don't we usually make to-do lists when we are full of thought, energy, and a good sense of ambition?  Well, if not then, how about when we are really overwhelmed with sludge sloshing around in our brain and we simply don't want to forget some important things....so we make a list?  Or maybe, like when you are older like me, do you simply have to make one because your brain is just so jammed full of information that you need a list so something doesn't get lost in all that information?

Here's a finding about to-do lists.  Ok, maybe not quite so (as I made it up because it sounds impressive).  Anyway, my finding is....my lists are not like the one shown in the illustration.  They are long.  Way too long.  Way, way too long.  Almost. All. The. Time.  So I don't get everything done on the list in the time I gave myself to do it all.  Because?  Writing it all down is far easier and quicker than doing it all.....and, by the way, at the beginning the list sure looks impressive.

Here's what I have found about doing to-do lists.  No matter how many items are on the list...prioritize the items.  As I jot my thoughts down of stuff to do, I don't number them.  I'm not one to think in priority order, so I just slam the items down and then (after looking over the list to be sure I haven't missed a thought) I prioritize them.

Ok...so what does all this stuff about to-do lists have to do with being a better man, husband, and father?  How about this....on each to-do list you make up, how about adding this as one of the items:
 
"Thank God for this day and who I am"
 
Then, make that your number 1 item to attend to on your list.  Then proceed with items 2, 3, and so on.  Does it sound corny?  So what?  You'd be surprised at how much this little exercise will help you deal with trying to finish out your to-do list of items, and will also help you smile at the end...especially if you don't get everything done (almost always the case with my lists).
 
Oh, by the way....why shouldn't that be your number one priority each day....list or no list?  Just askin'!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment