Thursday, January 16, 2014

God does have a sense of humor

The only times we never had a dog were those short periods of time between dogs when we were looking for the "right" one.  We have always been dog people, and have loved them as much as family members (which they really are once they steal your heart...something dog lovers are only too sure about).

Because of that special bond that seems to automatically form between dog and man and dog, I can see how they are referred to as man's best friend.  I submit that there are any number of characteristics that dogs possess that make that bond so strong:
  • they love us unconditionally
  • they are extremely faithful and loyal to us
  • they will always protect us
  • they are beyond patient with us
  • they are constant companions
  • they are happy when we are connected with them
  • our faults don't seem to bother them
  • they aren't biased or prejudiced
  • they are fully forgiving
  • etc, etc
Going through that list, I can't pick out one single characteristic that shouldn't be a part of my make up as a human being.  Those characteristics are the same characteristics God has shown me throughout his Word and by example.  They are, in fact, how He wants me to be as one of His children.  They are characteristics that I fall way short of.  What a lesson I could learn from my dogs.

Which brings me to the thought of God's sense of humor.  Is it possible that God made dogs as man's best friend so that we would always have those God like characteristics right in front of our noses at all times.  And isn't it ironic that man's best friend, dog, is God spelled backwards?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment