Thursday, January 23, 2014

Obituary-itis

Do you have a first-thing-in-the- morning routine?  That is a rhetorical question because I have never found anyone who didn't have a morning routine.  And, further, I bet all morning routines can be described verbatim by other family members.  Morning routines just seem to come in our habit genes.  I am no different than anyone else.  I have my routine, and NOONE better mess with it !!  Here it is:
  • get up
  • bathroom call
  • make coffee
  • retrieve the paper
  • read the paper with my coffee
By the way, I am all convinced that reading a newspaper while drinking coffee magically does something to the coffee.  It is absolutely at its best during those moments.  I have a sub-routine (bet you do to) when reading the paper.  I have to read it in a particular order:
  1. front section---the news stuff
  2. sports section
  3. obituaries
  4. business section
Reading the obituaries makes me think.  Obviously I am always happy to note that my name and details aren't among those whose are there.  That gives each morning a bright start.  But on a more serious note I come away from reading the obitiuaries with:
  • a sense of thanks that I am able to stand in front of another day and therefore I have one more opportunity to try to be a better person
  • a sense of acknowledgement that God has allowed me to walk this walk of life for as long as He has and that during that walk He has shared many precious moments with me
  • a sense of sorrow that perhaps some of those listed therein may have never reached unity with their Lord and thus could be eternally lost
Being alive each day should be incentive enough for me to focus myself on my real purpose for being...that of being an instrument of God's hand to willingly do whatever it is He wants of me as an act of blind faith and trust in Him.

If you were to take stock of yourself and  your morning routine, how would you address it?

No comments:

Post a Comment