Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pencil in God's Hand

"People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered.  Love them anyway."  That's a quote from Mother Teresa.  She's right too.  People are unreasonable, illogical, and self centered.  I am well aware of how well that fits me.

To be sure, the majority of people are most likely not that way all of the time but let's face it,  because we are humans we are inclined toward those traits more than we would like to be and possibly more than we would admit.  I know only too well how I fit into that picture.  And if one would need further proof, they could go to an authority on that subject....my wife.

I don't think anyone is proud, happy, or content being unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered.  I do think that the vast majority of folks recognize those characteristics as less than desirable to have.  Some are quick to recognize them, others a bit slower, and sadly there are some who will never "get it".

Part of my daily regime in dealing with those flaws, is to journal.  Another is to bring them up in my nightly conversations with God (why not...He is already well aware of them).  One more is self-talk, which can take place at any time.  I get a lot of "what did you say's" when I do that, but it's easy just to mumble that I was just talking to myself and go on reminding myself quietly aloud that I just screwed up...again.  Hardest of all, though, is apologizing to someone when one of those flaws has been so well expressed that it may have hurt them.  But it's gotta be done if I am ever going to be able to start to keep those flaws in check.

I figure that if I keep working on it, one of these days I might be able to live up to the following, which is another quote from Mother Teresa:

“I'm a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world.” 

It seems to me that it must be both easier and more fun being part of a love letter than hate mail.  By being part of His love letter,  when we get to the end of the road of life we can hear the greatest words we will ever hear...."well done"!

No comments:

Post a Comment