Sunday, January 26, 2014

God's Pearls

Would it sound wierd if people referred to themselves as pearls--or if other people did?  Take a look at this very short video and then see what you think.

 

 
I happen to like analogies.  Analogies teach me, and I think they are great teaching tools.  The video, and what I'm about to say,  are just that.  Here's what I take from the video:  I am an oyster in this big sea of life.  Right in the very core of me there is this irritant, this annoyance, a thing that I simply can't get rid of.  It is called sin, or my sinful nature.  This will be with me for all of the days of my life. 
 
However, all is not lost.  Just like the irritant in the oyster, that irritant within me, while it can never be removed, will be transformed with patience and time and effort.  Little by little, as I avail myself of all of the tools of life's tool box which are available to me, that irritant will become less and less significant as God works in me crafting a pearl.  The sinful nature will never leave, but a pearl will come to be if I make those choices:
  • community vs solitude
  • praying vs not
  • biblical worldview vs secular worldview
  • transparency vs wall building
  • etc, etc
Pearls are not made overnight.  Neither are human pearls.  But we can rest assured that God is a very patient God, and He prefers pearls.

No comments:

Post a Comment