Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Smokey Robinson and God

In 1967 Smokey Robinson and the Miracles came out with a hit song "I'll Second that Emotion".  The song talks about not wanting just a kiss and run relationship.  The hook of the song is actually the clincher of the main message of the song:
 
..."if you want
a lifetime of devotion...
I'll second that emotion."
 
God has been fully devoted to us as His people (and I mean individually so....you, me, them) since we were born.  His devotion for me, for example, has never, ever wavered.  Ever.  End of story.  The only wavering in our relationship has been on me.  Sometimes I am way more devoted to myself and my stuff than to others, and God in particular.  How about you?
 
God, like a good parent, simply wants what's best for us.  And in return for that, all He asks of us is a lifetime of devotion to Him.  Should it really be all that hard to understand and do?  No, but we do tend to make it hard don't we?
 
And I'll second that emotion!



No comments:

Post a Comment