Sunday, February 16, 2014

Going to extremes

We've got a guy in our neighborood who some folks might say is, well.....strange.  I personally don't know the gentleman, and though there are some things about  him that at first glance seem quite strange, I really can't decide if he is strange or not.  There may be circumstances for those things we see that seem strange.  I see him mowing his grass in good weather.  That's normal.  What isn't normal is that he mows it wearing a tyvek suit so that he is completely covered, with the wrists and pants legs banded tightly.  And he wears long boots, gloves, a mask, and a full face shield, along with a hat over that.  It seems that he is completely trying to protect his body from something...either real or perceived.  If one were to glance further, at his house, one would note that every window has been sealed over with plastic which is taped.  I suppose that is to protect the inside of the house from something either real or perceived as well.

I've seen some people who call themselves christians that are fairly similar to our lawn mowing neighbor.  They go to extraordinarily great lengths to try to distance themselves from what is either real or perceived sin.  Obviously, in doing so, much like the lawn mowing man, they are drawing attention to themselves.....attention that I personally find just a bit disconcerting.  I find it disconserting because of the negative picture their actions are projecting to new believers, struggling believers, and non believers alike.  Simply put, I have always sensed that those folks are perhaps more show than go.


It seems to me that Bonhoeffer hit the nail right on the head when he shared his wisdom in the above.  I know that if I even try to courageously and actively try to do God's will, several things happen in my walk down that road of life:
  • I can certainly be a more authentic, open, and transparent person
  • I won't have to worry about "being on the lookout" for every lurking sin in my life
  • because, I will be convicted of sin when it enters and I will be prepared to deal with it
  • and, I won't be projecting a phony image of what being a christian is all about.
It boils down to walking the walk instead of just talking the talk.

Wouldn't you think so?













































No comments:

Post a Comment