Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Perspectives

I have always been a strong believer that a good positive attitude is an enhancer.  It is pretty much proven in the medical community that a positive attitude speeds healing.  Mental health professionals don't see too many folks with good positive attitudes I would guess.  And you have to wonder how the sales industry would survive were it not for folks with hugely positive attitudes. 

I have never been shy of mentioning that I simply don't enjoy being around "down" people for any length of time.  I can try to help them for a while by hoping that my "up-ness" will wear off on them to some degree.  But if I determine that they have terminal "down-ness" I really have to work at it to stay around them for any length of time.  And that's because down folk can take this up person down in pretty short order.  Ever happen to you?

This up vs down perspective is but one of the things that define us as people. Another is our perspective on good and evil in the world.  Look at the following picture:


While not a very scientific method of determining perspective, it is a good object lesson for the purpose of this discussion.  Sometimes I have to put the brakes on momentarily and step back from a person or a situation and ask of myself some or all of the following questions:
  • Am I looking for the good or evil (or bad) in this situation or person?
  • Do I see the good or evil (or bad) in this situation or person?
  • Is there good or evil (or bad) to look for in this situation or person?
  • What will I do if I do see evil (or bad) in this situation or person?
My perspective of a situation or person should be determined quite quickly so that I can then determine how to deal with or react to it or them.  And hopefully however I do that, it will be done in a godly manner. 

My maw always called me "a happy little optimist".  That, I'm guessing, is an euphamism for "up".
I do know this.....being up, and trying to see the good in people, and living like my cup is 1/2 full are all things that make it a lot easier for me to have faith and believe in all that God has been trying to say to me all of my years. 

How about you?  How's your perspective?  How does your perspective affect those around you?



No comments:

Post a Comment