Monday, February 17, 2014

What about the kids?

Over the past couple of decades I have noticed something that has bothered me more and more.  It seems to me that more parents are more willing to let others raise their kids.  Now before you get all upset with me here, hear me out.
  • it seems that more really young kids are being shuffled off to pre-school or sitters
  • television, the one eyed god, is a huge factor in many, many homes
  • social media (facebook, etc) and cell phones have increasingly become must-haves for kids
  • PTA/PTC groups are clamoring for parent involvement in the schools
  • and yes, just from observation I would have to say that there are many kids that are simply dropped off at church on Sundays for the kids stuff...and little parent involvement.
Ok, I get it that times change.  I also get it that today's world presents some economic challenges that perhaps earlier generations didn't have, and that often both parents must work.  I also get that perhaps when many couples start families their emphasis is still on "stuff" as opposed to doing the family thing.

Abdicating parental obligations in favor of a more comfortable and possibly enjoyable life style is a twisted concept.
 

 
 
It just seems to me that parents need to choose between the "Monster of More" and what is best for their kids. 
 
I have personal proof that the picture lesson above is so true, and thus so very, very sad.  I was a non-believer when we were raising the family, and we were very busy just trying to survive, and our kids were not exposed to Christ.....and I deeply, deeply regret it.  I see them now as adults and it cuts me to the core that some are yet unwilling to even explore the possibility of having Christ in their life. 
 
If you are young, and have a family, what are you doing as a parent, a father, a husband, to ensure that your kids will grow up at the very least knowing that there is a Christ to follow?


No comments:

Post a Comment