Friday, February 28, 2014

A long construction zone

Every once in a while I drive down to Louisville, KY to visit my daughter and her family.  Sometimes I just hate the trip because it seems that I-65 is a perpetual construction zone.  When that is coupled with the enormous amount of semi's travel that route, it just wigs me out at times.  It becomes, in essence, a test of my character.....just like so many other things in this daily grind of life.

The character I'm talking about, I'm sure you realize, isn't the same as in something we say from time to time..."that guy (or gal) is a character".  Nope, this all about what I am all about at my core.  It's a composite mix of my values, behaviors, habits, mores, morals, the whole nine yards.  It is, therefore, what I wear on my sleeve, what (gasp) others see.  A persons character can be masked from time to time, but in the long haul the true character of any person becomes evident to those who would see it.

I've found that as I travel down the long narrow road I call life that each step of the way is about building character...my character.  It is a trip that most assuredly will not be a smooth trip.  That, in and of itself, builds character.  It is necessary to know that I wasn't born with character, though I will die with character.  Character building is a learning process, it is growth, it is achieved by trial and error, and it isn't always fun...but it is, for certain, one thing....it is always.  Developing character goes hand in had with being a better man, husband, and father.  As one improves, so does the other.

All us guys have to realize is that we are forever in a long construction zone...from the time we are born until we die. 


Now that I look at it, I'm ok with that.  How about you?  How's your construction zone?


No comments:

Post a Comment